Sunday, December 5, 2010

Teacher #4

Metanoia by Ryan Bretag
The first post I commented on led to an extremely thought provoking comment and reply from Peter Rodrigues.  I would like to hear what you think about students (and everybody in today's technological society) leaving behind a digital trail.  A footprint.


My Comment
Thank you for sharing your ideas and beautiful pictures. Maybe I’m off, but I thought the main goal in using aliases and ID#’s were to protect identities and make the parents feel better about their child leaving behind a trail. Yes, I agree having a name (their name) is a healthy part of leaving a footprint. So, do you think our society is past the fear of leaving behind a real trail of our intellectual journey?
Thank you very much for provoking thought!
Josh King (an EDM310 student)

I GOT A REPLY, sort of...
Coming to this conversation a bit late, but I’ve been thinking about this lately, as my daughter approaches two, has some presence on facebook, etc.

I think part of the reason we use the alias/id# thing is for the illusion of safety – parents don’t want students’ personal information out of the web through their school work. Yet, our students have a digital footprint outside of school. And instead of teaching them how to properly craft that footprint, we create a culture of fear. Instead of hiding students’ digital footprint, talk and teach the right way to create an online presence (that will make parents feel safe too). Personal Info, compromising pictures, etc need to be discussed.

  • Aliases and id#'s give the illusion of safety...
  • Are we creating a culture of fear?
  •  Do you think we need to teach our "futures" how to develop a health digital footprint (inside and outside school)?

The second post was a post about who he nominated for the EduBlog awards.  This list had some people we've commented on and read posts from...(Scott Mcleod, CASTLE)  There were others on his list that I didn't know.  It was nice to be directed to more blogs, bogs that insightful in regards to teaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment